Rycote has been owned by many important families such as the de Mandevilles, the Norrises and the Berties.
Originally Rycote was formed from two separate manors. The larger of the two manors was Rycote Magna (Great Rycote). The smaller manor was known as Rycote Parva (Little Rycote). Rycote Magna and Rycote Parva probably ceased to exist from December 1539 when Sir John Williams was granted licence to create Rycote Park.