An historic fifteenth-century Chapel with exquisitely carved and painted woodwork and many intriguing features, including two early seventeenth-century roofed pews and a musicians’ gallery.
The yew tree to the south of the Chapel was planted, according to tradition, at the coronation of King Stephen in 1135 as a seedling brought from the garden of Gethsemane. It is one of the specimens measured by enthusiasts in the eighteenth century and its present circumference of twenty six feet differs very little from the measurements taken then.
Open April to September
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
Or by appointment on 01844 210210.
Concessions (including members of English Heritage, National Trust and HHA) £2.50
No coaches please.
Rycote Chapel Custodians: Mrs Elizabeth Bedford and Ms Fredericka Smith.
Private tours of Rycote Park, to include the Chapel and gardens, may be arranged by appointment with Mrs Sarah Taylor, Rycote Park, near Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 2PE.